Monday, June 18, 2007

a new PDA

I had previously chosen the Palm brand as I thought that they were the standard.

So, a week ago my Palm Tungsten C died. I did a hard & soft reset, sync'd, recharged and pushed every button - it's dead. At one point there was a glimmer of hope when it displayed the Tungsten logo - but then it wouldn't move on from that - it's dead.

So following my law that when something breaks and you replace it - you buy something better than what you had - to take away the pain of the broken item. So, this train of thought led me to decide whether I would buy another Palm or something else. I thought about the Palm Treo 680 and Treo 750 however I have now realised that having a mini keyboard on a pda is not really important - it's better to have a larger screen. I thought about the Palm Tungsten TX - which looks really nice - but it's only a pda, and I think I should get an all in one device.

From the reviews and web sites I looked at I resolved that the O2 Atom is the way to go. There are some negatives but I figure most reviews were positive. I remember there was a guy from work who had an O2 when they first came out and he really liked it. I remember a mate telling me that there was a plethora of software available for the Windows Mobile system operating system so that shouldn't be a problem.

So, my research revealed that the O2 Atom Xda pda looks nice. They are selling in Dick Smith Electronics for $1099. I started watching them in eBay finding that they were selling for around $430 - $500. I was lucky enough to get one today for $365.00 It doesn't have a stylus so I have bought one separately for $7.00

Can't wait for it to arrive - I'm expecting it will do everything the Palm does and more. Did I make the right choice? What software do you recommend? Have you heard of this brand/model? What are your thoughts?

No comments: